Welcome to Olivia's Daughter....a blog that I created in March 2010 to document my blessed journey of healing. Since I began this blog, my mother has gone home to be with the Lord along with my son, Chris Reshaud Jordan, who was murdered in October 2009. After these two devastating events, I felt forsaken by God. I cried out to the Lord seeking my purpose in life. Throughout this experience, I had to make the choice to surrender to a life of worthlessness or to live my life to the fullest, a life filled with abundance and love.


God has strengthened me. I am seeking Him daily and and working to live in His will which is leading me to my purpose and passion. I think of Chris and Olivia constantly, but I have turned this over to God. I want God to use me as his vessel giving Him the glory.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Thank You Ma for Old School Teaching

Me, Olivia (mama) and Dominique (my daughter) taken Oct 2, 2009 at rehab
RIP Ma  
My mother, taught me so much about life.   I am taking this opportunity to write down twelve ways in which my mother impacted my life.   Hopefully you will be blessed by it.   I am sure I will have a few more words to express tomorrow.

1.  She lived a life to worship.

2.  She took care of things she loved; family and friends.

3.  She always had time to listen to a friend in need and act on it.  She taught me to extend myself to others.

4.  She taught me order and cleaniness; I don't always practice it but I know what it looks like.  

5.  She taught me to treasure old things, whether it is the elder, antiques, or goodwill hauls.  Anyone that knows her knows she owned a antique shop years ago and she had a eye for good old furniture.  She would stop in a estate sale or a goodwill in a heart beat.

6.  She taught me how to host and to treat people kindly when they are in your home and how to extend hospitality outside of the home.  

7.  She taught me how to care for the sick and shut end as she was this was her service to her church members as friends.  Whenever anyone was ill within her group of family and friends she was one of the first people called upon.  From watching her I was able to care for her at home during her illness.  

8.  She taught me to be a business woman and to think outside of the box.  She did not have a high school diploma but she always managed to bring more money into the household than I did with a master's degree.  

 9.  She taught me to work smart,  While I was in college she got me several jobs being a private duty sitter with the elderly, which allowed me to study while I sat.

10.  She taught me how to be a lady, dressing modestly; how to wear a slip under my dress, keep my dress to the knee or below, never show cleavage, sit with my legs crossed  at the ankle not the knee.  Now alot of this I didn't practice until I built a foundation and a relationship with the Lord :)  This was old school teaching.  

11.  To piggy back on # 10; she taught me how to shop, dress for my body type.  To know good fabrics, to appreciate being different in my style.  As she would put it to wear my clothes and not let the clothes wear me.  She taught me early that dark skin was beautiful.  She knew how important that would be to be as I grew up.

12.  She taught me to be a good mother to my children and grandchild. A to those around me who need mothering.  I work as a social worker with neglected and abused youth,  I have an opportunity to extend myself to youths who have not had the upbringing I have had.  

Bonus ****13.  She told me she loved me very very often.  Which makes it easy for me to express love verbally and in action.  

I can count the times she spanked me, it was not many. But the few times she did it was memorable :) Instead she took the time to put in the work of talking to me about how my behavior impacted myself and others.  She lived a life of good example before me.   She poured into me on a daily.  She served as my Camp Fire Girl leader, she went to Open House.  She was an excellent wife to my dad and they worked to keep their marriage.  I will write about my father's impact close to Father's Day.  He was something else, both parents had a really good sense of humor.  

Please keep me and the family in prayer. For those that mothers have gone on work to keep your mother alive in memory and do the good work that they would love.  Be blessed by this blog.

I am gonna go take a walk now.............

Leave some comments about your mother.  I would love to read them.

(Check out my natural hair I have been natural since about 2009 :)

One last thing, Sunday service was such a blessing, Sis. Shirley's testimony was offered to encourage us all.  Awesome woman !  Also 2nd Sunday is my Sunday to volunteer in the nursery.  Children are so special and I am fortunate to work in the nursery with the babies.  It is so nice to be able to nurture them, they are adorable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment