Welcome to Olivia's Daughter....a blog that I created in March 2010 to document my blessed journey of healing. Since I began this blog, my mother has gone home to be with the Lord along with my son, Chris Reshaud Jordan, who was murdered in October 2009. After these two devastating events, I felt forsaken by God. I cried out to the Lord seeking my purpose in life. Throughout this experience, I had to make the choice to surrender to a life of worthlessness or to live my life to the fullest, a life filled with abundance and love.


God has strengthened me. I am seeking Him daily and and working to live in His will which is leading me to my purpose and passion. I think of Chris and Olivia constantly, but I have turned this over to God. I want God to use me as his vessel giving Him the glory.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Finger Coils Day 1

Finger Coils - Day 1
Please don't think I am crazy I entered a Castor Oil Challenge with Kinky Curly Coily Me and we had to upload photographs
I joined my first challenge it starts on March 1 ends on June 1

Natural Hair Journey – Well, two of my favorite curl buddies wears finger coils and they look great.  I had thought I could not do them because my hair is longer.  Then I was surfing YT and saw several people with longer lengths doing them.  One woman had hair to her hips and had wonderful results.  So I focused in on the technique and got busy, it took 3 hours, YES but well worth it.  Now I don’t have to touch my hair until wash day.  I am loving the looks that are low manipulation.  It keeps me out of my hair which I need as I am always touching pulling throughout the day.  This style stays in place and looks well on me.  One Con is that in my crown area I have thin hair so this area tends to look scalpy.  But I was told to uncoil some in that area to fill in the space.  I may do so tomorrow or the next day but for today Hey it works. Another Con:  major shrinkage, I am a chick who likes big expanded hair so I am adjusting to the short cropped look.  I am learning so much about myself. 
 
I love the creativity that wearing my natural hair allows me.  At the drop of a hat I can change my look and I can do it myself.  My hair is allowing me to be independent and not dependent on a stylist having to wait until my appointment time.
 
Well you may say it took 3 hours, yes but the time went fast, I was able to multi task; talk on phone surf the net, read while coiling.  As I coiled I had this inner feeling that I was doing it right and that I would be pleased.  As I coiled my self confidence rose, I like knowing I can meet my own hair needs.  My daughter and cousin was amazed at how I did it and liked the finished look. 
 
This look is perfect for my lifestyle as I need more time in the morning, now I don’t have to untwist and fluff.  It works for my workout sessions I can tie it up or leave it loose, it won’t be in my way.  I brought leave in with me to apply before my workout.  I will let you know how long they last.  But this is Day 1 Hair, Rocking Finger Coils. 
 
I don’t consider this a protective style because all my hair is exposed. But it does allow me to put a cap on to cover it when I am outside in the cold.  Making it possible for me to get the hair over my hair, my afro does not allow this. 
 
 
OHHHHH products I used; Curls Crème Burlee – excellient moisture and shine, can be brought from Target.  I topped it with my Olive Oil (non alcohol) Eco Styling Gel, I was undecided between it and my Kinky Curly Custard.  My Kinky Curly is near to my heart and cost a pretty penny.  I did add my Kinky Curly Not Today as my Leave In but decided not to use the more expensive product.  I never use the Eco Styling Gel because I am not a big gel user I never have been.  But I brought it because it is popular in the natural hair community.  It didn’t fail me. 
 
 
Weight Loss Journey – I did not work out yesterday evening.  A dear friend’s mother was hospitialized so I tended to her.  I will be working out this evening J  This is Day 16 of Cycle 1.  YES  !

No comments:

Post a Comment